Friday, March 15, 2013

Sarah Richardson: On-Going Transformation

Hello Friday!  What is your plan for the weekend? It is officially mid-March and even though the air is still a little chilly, I am totally in spring mode thanks to the fantastic previews at HomeSense and the Bay.  Being inspired by all the bright, vibrant, saturated colors also means that I am itching for some changes in my own home.  Then I started thinking: spring is the time when I'd like to bring fresh new ideas into my space to inspire and stimulate my senses, and that helps me to stay sharp and be creative  on client's projects.  I believe that is how designers stay on top of their game and be experimental with new, perhaps daring may I say, ideas.

A couple of weeks back another Sarah Richardson's fan sent me an email wondering if I have images of Sarah's private residence in Toronto.  I remembered it was love at first sight when I spotted Sarah's Toronto home in House & Home back in 2004.  As I dug through my Sarah's binder, I decided to put together a little "Before" and "After" of Sarah's on-going transformation right at her Toronto home. 

image via House & Home
Clean, crisp, and dressed in off-white walls with flooring in natural wood, this contemporary living room showcases the tailored, streamlined, mid-century modern furnishings.  Pops of vibrant tangerine via pillows and flowers serve as accent in this neutral space.

Fast forward to 2013, Sarah's living room is full of colors including her signature blue + green color palette.  The chandelier is stunning and it adds a sense of playfulness in the space.  The eye-popping loveseat in vivid fuchsia sitting in front of the pastel blue wall just absolutely blows my mind.  Another update in the living room is the gorgeous lucite + brass coffee table.  LOVE it!      

image via HGTV Magazine
Welcome to the dining room.  In 2004, it was sophisticated and moody: a perfect place for intimate sit-down dining with close friends in the evening.  Now as a mother of two, Sarah has given her dining room a brand new personality with overscale floral graffiti wallpaper in a soft cheerful yellow.  The space is inviting, youthful, plus a touch of whimsy, especially with the fun cowboy artwork and the curvaceous Murano chandelier.  

I love that Sarah "repurposes" her chandelier from one spot to another.  I don't have an image of it on file, but I remember seeing this paper notes chandelier designed by Ingo Maurer also being hung above the staircase landing.

image via House & Home
The kitchen didn't change much over the years, except that Sarah has coated it with rich, delicious royal blue and added a casual eating area for Robin and Fiona.  I am not sure if the location of this super fun and colorful credenza is where daybed used to be, but it surely demonstrates a change of decor direction now that there are two little princesses in this household.

image via House & Home / HGTV Magazine
Here comes the master bedroom and it has gone through a few updates over time.  Started off with a low platform bed with a soothing tufted headboard in tuxedo style, Sarah has since elevated the bed, given it a creamy skirt, and added a scallop curve to the headboard.  The overall look is more eclectic and feminine.  

image via House & Home / Sarah Richardson Design
Fast forward to 2013, Sarah's master bedroom is now jaw-droppingly colorful in vibrant raspberry pink and bright neon green.  The creamy bedskirt is replaced by a luxurious upholstered bed frame with feet in dark walnut, a pair of vintage campaign side tables + faux bamboo lamps, fun ribbon detail on the drapes, a deco inspired lucite bench, and of course the floral headboard designed by Sarah.  The color combo in this room maybe a little bright for some, but Sarah has toned down the brightness with an health dose of white.  I think this is perfect to welcome spring!

image via HGTV Magazine
Our last stop is this serene, tranquil, and spa-like guest bedroom.  It was featured in an episode of Room Service and I still remember the paint effect Sarah put on the lower half of the wall.  When Sarah was about to give birth to Robin, she turned the guest bedroom into her nursery.  I loved that floral and stripped fabrics so much that at one point I actually had my daybed dressed just like Sarah's loveseat.  What a happy and nurturing space!
image via House & Home / Sarah Richardson Design
Now the girls are a little older and the nursery has once again been transformed into a playful bedroom decorated in many shades of blue.  I love the mix of patterns, and how the creamy drapes + carpet help balanced the boldness of the colors + patterns.  Those feet for the bed are just divine and I just love that pop of red via the crocs! 

image via HGTV Magazine
Here you have it, an on-going transformation project right at Sarah's Toronto home to reflect the current state/changing needs of a happy family of four.

So are you inspired? Perhaps ready to make some changes to your own home this spring? I would love to hear what you have in mind! Happy weekend everyone!

31 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Thank you so much for posting those Tim. I have to say, I love the more playful feel of her house now. Those master bedroom colors ARE a bit much for me, but they are lovely to look at. The whole house feels so much more welcoming in brighter colors.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love what Sarah did with her dining room! It gives me so much inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these transformations. As I have also been following Sarah's work, it just keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful!! I have always loved and watched Sarah Richardson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing these HGTV spreads, Tim - all the colour is perfect! Like the idea to pull colours from the artwork into the cabinet front - looks great! Have a top weekend, pal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good catch Will! I didn't notice that! top weekend for you and Mr. T! xo

      Delete
  6. Saeah can do no wrong! Always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Sarah, but not these colors! Unfortunately...
    I also think this is a pretty feminine palette - doesn't the hubby mind?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing, I love the changes. It just goes to show a little imagination goes a long way. Keep up the good work Sarah love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tim. Wow, she has definitely changed things over time. We are approaching Autumn here in NZ, although we have a drought at the moment, it's still very hot so still feels as though we are still in Summer mode! Would love to be updating inside with a bit of colour but alas we are outside putting up a new garden shed - not very exciting other than the face I can clear out the garage to make way for more bits and pieces! Thanks Tim, I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nichole for your kind words both here and on FB! I would love to visit NZ one day! We so need spring and summer here soon in Toronto!

      Delete
  10. I knew when I saw the HGTV mag spread, that you would be blogging about it Tim! That's quite a transformation. Can't say I love all the colour - I'm somewhere in between both of her looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe.... you know me too well V!

      Delete
  11. Sarah Richardson rocks ... been a fan for years and plan to be one for many more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where do you find all these photos? You are a design bank! I loved her home before - I am not a huge fan of bright bubble gum colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Barb, I am crazy and have been collecting Sarah's features since her feature in House & Home in 2004!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for posting this Tim! I think it's very interesting to see how Sarah's style has gone from a very neutral pallette to an extremely colorful one. I wonder how much having 2 young girls and a color loving husband have influenced the evolution?

    It's funny because Martha Stewart kind of evolved in the opposite direction. Her house used to be all florals and antiques, which I loved & copied, to streamlined & neutral, which I loved & copied too.

    I love Sarah's style be it bold or beige, and I think it's great that's she willing to have so much fun in her home. If you look at her recent client projects, you can tell there's still plenty of that signature Sarah neutral base to go around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely! I love her home in both styles. I probably would tend to be on the neutral side and have pops of color with accessories instead of right on the wall. But hey, if I have two young kids, maybe I will be in the same mind set as well!

      Thanks so much for your comment and please do visit again!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing Tim--just discovered your blog! I love Sarah's style and how she manages to maintain a sense of calm in her space even with bursts of color. She is one of my favs for sure! Love her blue/green color palette with hits of rose. Looking forward to future posts. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Debbie for stopping by! Would love to have you visiting me again :)

    Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Great post! I love Sarah Richardson!

    I don't think the colorful credenza is where the daybed used to be. I think the daybed used to be in the same spot as the pink sofa is now (as seen in the background of the current living room picture). You can also see a corner of the rug in the first picture, bottom left.

    As the following article says, the credenza is in the entryway!
    http://www.hgtv.com/color/inside-sarah-richardsonrsquos-colorful-home/pictures/page-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joelle for the link! so it is the entrance! What a fab first impression!

      Delete
  17. LOve All that Sarah Does so Inspireing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, so many changes in Sarah's home over the years! It's interesting to see that interior decorating and design is a constant evolution, especially for creative people like Sarah who always want to see something fresh and new.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post Man!! This was a treat to read, remember and look at. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nichole!! Glad you hear you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  20. fab post Tim - thanks for sharing.

    the floral headboard is incredible... my headboard obsession continues!

    Trisha x

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE that kid's room!
    So great!!!

    I gave you a little shout out today Mr mr!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sarah is style personified! Thank you for these great pictures...There is only one Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Sara and i have always said that i would love to have her come to my home. In having said that i cant say that i like this. I have to wonder how her husband feels about all the girly colours. I do know that if anyone could pull this off it would be Sara.

    ReplyDelete