Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Style At Home: Makeover Issue + Powder Room Project

Happy Wednesday!  I am thrilled to bring to your attention that my neutral living room is featured in the Style At Home Special Issue: 100+ easy renos & makeovers.  After living with vibrant rainbow colors for a couple of years, I am ready to settle down with a more subdued palette and let textile interests take the central stage.      

image via Style At Home
In this special feature, I shared nine easy-to-follow makeover tips for those of you who are looking to give your place a facelift without spending a small fortune.  The Easy Renos & Makeover Issue is available now.  Pick up a copy and be inspired by over 100 ideas on kitchen renos, easy fixes with found treasures, and DIY weekend projects.


I also mentioned on Monday that the lovely Ann Marie of Style At Home will come photograph the gorgeous family home I decorated with my dear friend M.  The only room that is yet to finish is the main floor powder room.  The room has good bone with high ceiling, wood flooring, and impressive millwork.  Tiny in size, my vision is to transform this basic powder room into a luxurious jewel box.  Here is the moodboard for this deluxe powder room.


The jumping off point for the makeover is this incredible Globetrotter wallpaper by Clarke & Clarke.  I love how the dramatic charcoal grey is enlivened by the whimsical "sketches" of landmarks from around the world in muted gold.  It put a smile on my face the first time we met, and I'm glad that I have found the perfect spot for it to shine.  Clarke & Clarke is represented by Crown Wallpaper & Fabrics in Toronto and thanks to the lovely ladies at Crown, my papers arrived ahead of schedule and are ready for installation.

image via Clarke & Clarke
With such a dramatic backdrop on the walls, we of course need pendants that are jewel-like and super special to add that extra sparkle to the space.  I have a love affair with Bocci since I saw the lovely #14 at the Interior Design Show many years ago.  Exceptional in quality and exquisite in style, it is no surprise that this elegant pendant is well-loved by designers.  I love this AyA kitchen designed by Kelly Deck Design for IDS West 2012, and you can read more about this kitchen via a fab post by my dear friend Nancy of Marcus Design.  Thanks Bocci for supporting this powder room makeover.     

image via Marcus Design
image via Bocci
As designers alway say, faucet is the jewel in kitchen and bathroom.  This two handle widespread lavatory faucet by Brizo is absolutely stunning and it works seamlessly with the traditional style vanity (a deal of the century from Moveline Liquidation) inspired by Restoration Hardware.  Polished nickel is the finish we are after and thanks Brizo for partnering with us on this project. 

image via Brizo
I am also crazy about the Jason Wu bathroom collection for Brizo, and would love to incorporate the paper holder and waste basket.  This handsome collection is not available yet in Canada. We are working hard to get our hands on these super stylish creations in time for installation.  Fingers crossed.

image via Brizo
The powder room needs a dramatic and tall mirror to take advantage of the ceiling height.  This beauty from Moveline Liquidation has the right scale.  It is solidly constructed and I love that hint of feminine quality via its shape.  I will have the frame sprayed this deep, rich shade of blue: Old Navy from the GlucksteinHome Collection for Benjamin Moore.


Speaking about color, the lower half of the walls will be painted in Snowfall from the Sarah Richardson Design Palette provided by Para Paints.  It is the perfect color to contrast with the dark wallpaper and to highlight the beautiful millwork.

image via Sarah Richardson Design

Artwork is also crucial in this makeover.   I fell in love with this Chanel No.5 print from Made By Girl and knew it is made for this glamorous powder room.  Who doesn't want a little Chanel in their home?

image via MadeByGirl
So what do you think? Are you as excited as I am to see this powder room comes to live? We have one week to transform this bathroom and have no room for errors.  I will let you know how it goes next week.  Fingers + toes crossed!!

19 comments:

  1. We're so excited to see more photos of the powder room! It's going to be amazing, we already know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, this is going to be the most glamorous powder room ever, and I can't wait to see the finished results!! I hope you're able to get in ready in time for the big reveal ;-) M has amazing taste, and together you two make a killer design team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! M and I certainly work very well together. We can read each other's minds and like exactly the same thing. It certainly makes ideas pitching a lot easier :)

      Delete
  3. OMG - I absolutely love that wallpaper and now I need some. Not sure where I'll put it, and I know that I can't afford it, but I need some :)
    That bathroom is going to be stunning!I can't wait to see more details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This paper is actually not too expensive. You can always use it in small doses or try to source a roll or two online. Thrill to hear you like the powder room storyboard :)

      Delete
  4. So beautiful...gonna use that as inspiration for the powder room in my new home. Where is the vanity from??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that my project can inspire part of new home :)

      The vanity is from Moveline Liquidation and I believe it is now sold out.

      Delete
  5. That is going to be one spectacular powder room! Can't wait to see it come together.

    Congrats on the feature Tim! You are the master of versatile decorating ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your encouragment and inspiration Jen! They certainly serve as my motivation to blog at 2am and continue to challenge myself with new ideas in my DIY/transformation projects.

      I think I need to visit your basement again to be inspired. So gorgeous!

      Delete
  6. Hey, I recognize that wallpaper! :) Congrats on the feature and M's powder room is going to look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome feature, Tim - congratulations! I love how the room looks totally different with a simple swap of accessories. Great advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Will! The room is coming together nicely. Have my fair share of scary moments when walls were openned. Can't wait to show you more!

      Delete
  8. Tim....LOVE your plans for that powder room. The paper is divine and I have always been a chanel girl. Can't wait to see the reveal! Congrats on the Style at Home feature!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I was going to stencil the ceiling until yesterday morning that I found the perfect wallpaper and it arrived this morning! Thanks so much for express shipping!

      Delete
  9. I need to go and grab a copy of the Special Feature. The feature is totally awesome Tim! Congrats! I can't wait to see how the powder room comes together. With your taste and style I am sure it's going to turn out sensational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TYSM Michelle!! Right back at you with your master bathroom makeover. I'm so jealous of your beautiful home!

      Delete
  10. You know I'm literally DYING to see this bathroom come to life...that wallpaper makes my knees weak and don't even get me started on the gold pendants...heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the living room upgrades Tim and that Powder Room wallpaper is a magnificent place to leap off from!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with that wallpaper, Tim!!! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete