Monday, July 16, 2012

A Talk with Sarah Richardson & Tommy Smythe on Sarah 101

Happy Monday!  Whether you were enjoying Summerlicious in the city or soaking up the gorgeous weather (at least on Saturday) up at cottage country, I hope you all had a blast on the weekend.   I was very busy wrapping up my balcony makeover and the loft project for Scott's photo shoot.  My hard work pays off and both spaces look stunning!  I can't wait to share them with you very soon.

Speaking of makeover projects, did you enjoy the 14 amazing transformations on season 2 of Sarah 101?  You all know that I love this season and have picked up lots of tips from the show via my recap.  Today, I have decided to share with you my favourite rooms of the season.  I would also like to take this opportunity to thank SarahTommy, and the design team for their creativity, dedication, and sense of humor for an inspirational + fun filled season.  

image via HGTV Canada
First up, a sumptuous master with incredible millworks, architectural designs, and dresses in shades of grey and cream.  I love that a darker grey is used on the wall for a tranquil "night-time" feel.   Think about it, it makes total sense to use a darker color on the walls since bedroom is technically "an evening room".  The custom headboard (available via Sarah Richardson Design) is to die for, and I am totally crazy about how the gilded gold accents juxtapose against the grey walls. 

image via HGTV Canada
By removing the two top shelves and relocating the TV to a shelf on the side, this gorgeous built-in now has fantastic presence and highly practical to double as the make-up station for the lady of the house.  The shot on the right is yet another master class on how to mix patterns, textures, and use of materials.  Linen, cottons, or silk, so long that they share a common tread (in this case, the color blue), the fabrics will all work seamlessly together like a match made in heaven.
   
image via HGTV Canada
image via HGTV Canada
This minty green and warm metal condo is definitely one of my favourite rooms designed by Sarah ever.  The color palette is soft, elegant, and decadent: the super-sized exquisite gilded mirror, the cut crystal vintage chandelier, the animal prints, and a sofa custom designed by Sarah!  What is not to love?     

image via HGTV Canada
This condo also features a stunningly beautiful kitchen.  The antique mirrors as backdrop for the open shelves, extra storage disguises as a column, a functional and crisp breakfast bar, and the brass faucet, are just a few design elements I am stealing for my own kitchen. 

image via HGTV Canada
image via HGTV Canada
Another kitchen of my dreams is this classic country kitchen.  It is filled with vintage elements such as the lighting over the island, the pair of lanterns, and the application of the reclaimed barn boards.  The herringbone patterns via classic subway tiles with contrasting grey grout is certainly a sophisticated touch.  I also love the various levels of counter heights to (1) accommodate the location and size of the windows, (2) provide practical and functional use of counter surfaces, (3) add visual interests.  
image via HGTV Canada
Kitchen layouts are often tricky and this baker's kitchen was no exception.  I would have never thought of putting the island/peninsula at this location, but it absolutely works! It maybe a little pricy to have a new window and to shorten it slightly.  However, it is worth every single penny now that there is a long continuous run of counter space!  Did I mention this small kitchen has four exits and two windows?  

image via HGTV Canada
image via HGTV Canada
Bathroom layout is another expertise at SRD.  In this large bathroom, Sarah and Tommy have placed the luxurious free standing soaking tub (large enough for two) in the middle of the room!  With black and white as its strong palette, raspberry pink with a bold pattern as accents and drapery, and a classic chrome vanity with marble top for old world charm, I can live in this bathroom!

image via HGTV Canada
image via HGTV Canada
This large family lounging, entertaining, dining space now lives super large with an eye-pleasing layout, beautifully reupholstered good quality vintage furniture, a fun graphic fabric as dumping off point, and a wall of smokey mirror to visually expand the space with an added bonus of "bringing the outdoor in".  

image via HGTV Canada

A big thank you to the talented and extremely hard working design teams for putting together 14 sensational transformations! You can read up a fun behind the scenes post at Deb McCain Communications here.

via Deb McCain Communications
Yours truly was at SRD headquarter a couple of months ago for an interview with Sarah and Tommy chatting about their favourite design elements, major disasters, and all the fun bits during the filming/creation of Sarah 101, Season 2.  I'm over the moon ecstatic and grateful for the opportunity to video interview Sarah & Tommy.  Without further delay, here is the fun-filled interview with all things you need to know about Season 2 of Sarah 101, and Sarah's secret project to come in the near future.

Part I: We all know that Sarah and Tommy are the most compatible design duos on TV.  Now, are there situations where you two don't se designs eye-to-eye? And who usually has the last laugh?



Part II: No renovation ever goes off without a hitch.  Can you share with us a major disaster during the filming of Season 2?



Part III: If there is one design element your fans can incorporate in their own homes that is undeniably "Sarah Richardson", what would that be?



Part IV: Sarah you are working on a top secret reno project right now.  Is there anything you can share with us about this project?



Now for those of you who live in the Greater Toronto Area, today is your lucky day!  To thank all of you for watching Sarah 101, Para Paints now offers one lucky reader of Design Maze four gallons of Sarah's Designer Palette to kick start your next makeover project.  With four gallons on hand, it is time for you to start thinking about those walls, floor, and even the ceiling!

To enter, please check out Sarah's Design Palette and drop me a comment on which colors are your picks.  The last day to enter this giveaway is July 30th and again, this giveaway is only available in the GTA.

via Sarah Richardson, Facebook
Sarah 101 is ready to start all over again.  Tune in every Tuesday evening from 8pm to 9pm EST on HGTV Canada to be inspired.  Full TV schedule is available here.

31 comments:

  1. Great post Tim!!!! Soooo wish I lived in TO so I could start a new project with some fabulous paint by Para.
    I can't believe you got to interview both Sarah and Tommy together! What a rush ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was so much fun to interview Sarah and Tommy ... and I was so nervous! Glad that it turned out great and they are just the nicest to meet with in person as well!

      Delete
  2. I have been a reader of your blog for a while now, but have never commented. I just love Tommy and Sarah and would absolutely love to win some of her paint! We have been slowly renovating our semi-detached in the Upper Beaches for a couple of years now and the paint would be wonderful, as the design aspect of renovating has been neglected because of our super tight budget. I love Pebble, Seersucker, Shoreline and Oyster. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choices ... fingers crossed for you Rachel! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Please follow me too if you enjoy what you read :)

      Delete
  3. WOW Tim congratulations on a great interview up close and personal with Sarah and Tommy, I have a whole new respect for them and have come to the conclusion that I don't have to like all their make overs just enjoy the process and focus on what works for me because Sarah and Tommy make such a great team and are a pleasure to watch.
    cheers margo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Margo! Yes, Sarah 101 is about the process and what you can learn from the overall experience. I used to just pick the same fabrics Sarah used as well but now I'm learned the fundamental from watching the shows and picking fabric of my choice based on the design concept and not because "Sarah has used it".

      Delete
  4. Hi Tim,
    First time visiting! I don't think we get their show here in Washington, DC. I will have to research. Thanks for the introduction. I have been following a few blogs in Canada.....happy to discover yours.
    Cheers,
    Loi
    Tone on Tone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loi,

      The show isn't available in the US yet. You can read up on all of Sarah 101 at my Sarah 101 section. Thanks for dropping by and I'm glad that you enjoy my blog.

      Delete
  5. i still have yet to watch the last two episodes, but i loved this season! so sad it's over :(
    i'm hopefully going to get started on painting soon and would love something like Seagrass for the kitchen and Promise or Oyster for the family room. i love Blue Box but have no idea where that would go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Oyster too! such a beautiful color and definitely work with any spaces!

      Delete
  6. Great Interview Tim!! I love all the colors but if I had to pick 4 I would say Cotton, Snowfall, Vintage & cashmere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and recap Tim. I really loved that large family space and that country kitchen is an all time favourite of mine. The kitchen in the condo makes my heart sing too!

    Sarah has many amazing colours in her line up so it is very difficult to pick four. I really love jet stream as a neutral. Escarpment is also a beautiful colour. It seems to have a hint of blue/green. If I was being daring, I would love a punch of spring in my house somewhere. My final choice would be a toss up between elephant and herringbone. Both colours would fit nicely into our existing colours.

    Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love elephant too ... and my next favourite is Storm! definitely loving Spring!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Tim on this amazing opportunity to interview 2 such phenomenal designers ! It must have been a lot of fun and a great learning experience ? I love the color :Tarnish by para paint...it's such a beautiful and sophisticated color for a men's room / study room, cotton in a bathroom/kitchen, blue box as guest room, lily as a laundry room color :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog! I first found your blog searching about Homesense and then got into Sarah & Tommy through your reviews! It's been my favourite show this season! When first painting our master bedroom we made the mistake of going with a light lavender color making an already bright room seem even brighter and hard to sleep in. If we could repaint it, I would use Seersucker SR46 for the greyish tones to mix and match with the trendy grey colored furniture I've been wanting to get grounded with our dark tortoise upholstered bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Love to have you back and glad that you like my Homesense and S&T posts!

      Delete
  10. Great interview Tim!! What an exciting opportunity! Too funny ... my fav spaces from Season 2 were the ones you featured! Especially loved the herringbone! My favourite colours are Oasis, Spring, Thunder & Vintage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great minds think alike :) fantastic color choice as well!

      Delete
  11. Awesome interview Tim - its finally up! And darn, too bad I don't live in the GTA....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes ... at last the videos are up! Loving it and glad you all like the interview too :)

      Delete
  12. Awesome interview! Always love to hear more about Sarah and Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Tim! I'm a huge follower of your blog! Awesome post. I loved this season of Sara 101. I've already used a few colors from Sara's paint line, my favorites are Cashmere, Amethyst, Vista and Peppercorn.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tim...I read this the other day but somehow missed the Sarah's paint give away. I like Shoreline, with gown as an accent and dreaming for trim. Would probably mix one of the light sage greens in somehow too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great blog Tim! I love cashmere and herringbone. Got it all over my house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your killing it Tim. I'll pick whatever white Tommy wants me to pick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Sarah and Tommy - Great interview!
    My walls are currently all white, so I'd love some paint. I think I'd pick Spring, Gown, lily and maybe eyelet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amethyst is a feature wall in my living room so I have to pick that. I also heart Jetstream and Escarpment. Four gallons would help me decorate my nursery for baby #3, or one of my kid's rooms!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I *may* have picked up all the SR colour swatches at Lowes to make my own fan deck...

    We have been in our new place for over a year and have only managed to paint the three bedrooms...the main floor is desperate for a refresh (and a restain of the floors and installation of wainscotting and new throw pillows, a rug for the family room...)I'm liking Mist for the family room to pick up the greens and blues from the windows out to the backyard; either Shoreline or Escarpment for the LR/DR/hallways and then Tarnish or Ocean Liner for impact on front door.

    I want to love Cashmere, but it skews peachy in my light...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved the interviews! Thanks so much for some behind the scenes insight. I have been watching Sarah's show for years - so this was a fun peek behind the curtain!

    I moved into my house 15 years ago, and the one room that I never touched (and, funny enough hated the most) was my bedroom. The master is painted and wallpapered in a combo of mint green, pink and yellow....eek! I have been wanting to redo it for years, and now that my husband has been subjected to the scheme for three years, we are now ready to make the change.

    I read up about Sarah's Livingroom and like the idea of taking inspiration from our art work. I want to make the room ours, rather than keep it styled the way it is. Hubby has been living with some very strong feminine images in the bedroom and he is more a of nature lover when it comes to painting. So keeping that in mind, we will be looking at:

    Frayed (Walls)
    Promise (Trim)
    Ocean Liner (as an accent)

    I need to collect some paint chips and check the colours, but Peppercorn or Tarnish might make an appearance too. On something small.

    Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post Tim! And Thank you Para paints :) I would choose Oasis for my bathroom because I think it would look good with my new Lagoon Mosaik smart tiles. For my entryway I would use Bisque and Shoreline for a stripe wall. And last but not least I would use Lilac in my office.

    Thank you for running this contest you rock!

    ReplyDelete