Monday, May 21, 2012

Spring Makeover: Living Room Edition

Happy Victoria Day!  Hope you all have a fabulous time enjoying this incredibly beautiful weather and  an early arrival of summer.  I had a blast at my first ever garage sale (more to come on that note), and had a lazy sunday out and about enjoying the sun & 27C in May.

I am heading up north today for a secret mission that I am out of this world excited about.  Yes ... I am on yet another secret mission, and you will hear more about it in the future I promise.  For today, I would like to give a big Thank You to National Post Homes for a special feature of my living room makeover.    

via
I'm over the moon excited about this transformation as the end result is a mature, sophisticated space that reflects the current stage of my life.  I was a little nervous at first of going neutral.  After all, it is a big departure from my "Color me Fun" trademark.  But you know what, life is an adventure ... so why not have some fun along the way!  As you can see, I have picked coral and mandarin orange to accentuate my neutral backdrop.  This bright and cheerful accent color is fresh, on-trend, and it is perfect to welcome spring and summer!        

image credit: Scott Young Photography
Inspired by The Mix with Sam Pynn,  I decided to experiment with scale and picked these two huge floor lamps to create visual interest and drama in the space.  Originally came in white, I found the lamp shades a little "to-your-face". A little quick thinking and a couple of emails with the talented Lia of Mod Pieces later, these lamp shades are now elegant and high in style thanks to my favourite geometric pattern.  Here is a shot that showcases this fantastic pair of pure beauties.         


While we are at it, here is the left and right side of my living room.  I love how my brown trellis chair goes with whatever color and design direction I throw at it.  Notice a couple of other new additions to my living room? I have the Stump Storage Box from Gus* Modern and a side table that looks like a tree with marble top from Elte to go on either side of my newly upholstered vintage sofa.

The new drapes put together by NeedleIron are absolutely sumptuous, and this suzani pillow is divine on my tomato red Womb Chair.    

image credit: Scott Young Photography

Of course I couldn't say no to coral pink peonies for the photo shoot ... and may I add that these beautiful blooms smell heavenly for days?  A close-up of my new custom pillows.  LOVE them!  





Ahh ... the fireplace wall now features this whimsical illustration by Toronto designer Alanna Cavanagh.  Believe it or not, this is actually a tea towel (available at the Bay) and Christine at Adina Photo has done an amazing job in framing the piece for me gallery style.  It is truly a showstopper and it works perfectly with the bold pattern in my dining room.   

My new Harry chair by Sarah Richardson Design is now sitting handsomely next to my fireplace.  The grey geometric print complements the artwork and orange accent seamlessly in the space.     


A couple of detail shots by Scott: the professionals alway do a better job.    


Don't you just love this tea towel? Just like the holy grail, this illustration by Alanna is almost impossible to find: they were sold out before the product actually hit the store!  Now, if you are still hunting for the tea towel, you will love me for a very long time.  I have picked up an extra tea towel when it became available and since I already have one framed up, I've decided to host a giveaway to celebrate my guest post on National Post Homes.  

All you have to do is to tell me what you would do with the tea towel and why it is the perfect piece for your space.  I, of course, would also be forever grateful if you would take a second to become "followers" by clicking the "Join this site" button on the right.


Speaking about being grateful, I simply can't thank Tommy enough for the shout out on facebook and twitter for the interview I did with Natalie! Tommy, you are the best and I can't wait to see what you and Sarah have in store for us starting May 29th for a whole new season of Sarah 101.

via
via


21 comments:

  1. I scoured my city's Bay stores (3) for this tea towel, but no joy. The staff had no idea what I was talking about. It would the perfect retirement gift for this soon-to-be-pensioner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adore your new living room, Tim! It's fun, fresh and sophisticated all at once. Really like your subtle mix of traditional pieces with contemporary. Love your colour and pattern choices too. I don't know you but I get a sense this room is really oozes your personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your living room looks great! It manages to look both fresh and airy as well as colourful at the same time.

    I love that tea towel and have been trying to track it down! I would frame it like you have and hang it in my living room, the colours would be perfect in there. I already follow you from Google Reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just now wanted to feature your beautiful colourful home on my blog, and realize you did a makeover! Looks fabulous!
    And that tea towel? I would never guess... If it was mine, I would frame it just like you did. It stylish, happy, colourful and perfect for my home...to give it at least a bit of beautiness I ache for (two little boys are ruling the space)

    I wish you a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Millie for the feature! I love my place and how it can just take on a completely different personality with some fabrics and artwork. Glad that you like what I've done and please come back often for more updates!

      xo

      Delete
  5. Just when I thought the SR chair was in the way where it usually is, it shows up right in the middle of the room?!? LOL

    I can confirm though that those 2 huge floor lamps is the only drama our living usually gets to see :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! so now you decide to give me comment here instead of telling me when sitting next to me on the sofa? lol
      Am I ever glad that there are no drama other than these lamps in our living room.

      love ya
      xo

      Delete
  6. The Alanna Cavanaugh tea towel is so fresh and fun, I've always loved her work. I love that you framed the piece and I too would do something similar. I live in an older home and have a built-in shallow nook/spice rack in my very small kitchen. I've often thought of getting a piece of art to cover it and put a hinge on one side so I can still access the space. Unfortunately this would be too expensive. Alanna's tea towel design is almost the same size as the opening in the wall and framed would act as a cupboard door (would hide my spices, mail and mess). It would also look like an amazing piece of art in my kitchen as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tim for offering the second tea towel to your readers!

    I have loved Alanna's work for a long time (ever since Jen @ Rambling Renovators posted about her work)- I went so far as to go to her sample sale last year but even then couldn't convince my frugal self to fork over the cash (I love, love, love her scissors print!). The tea towel is lovely and I had the same idea to frame it (but in white) to put at the end of our windowless, gloomy galley kitchen. I do like the effect of the black matte though!

    I particularly love the print as I have a 10 year old rescue dog named Butternut who bears a striking resemblance to the Dachshund on Alanna's piece, blue collar and all! We think he is a Dachshund crossed with a Corgi. It would be so great to have a "portrait" of Butternut from an artist I love. I know it's something I would treasure for a long time.

    I am just kicking myself I didn't see Alanna's email to her followers about the tea towel sooner!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK. A: I can't believe you re-did your space again! I only wish I had the energy! You are amazing! B: Congrats on all the exposure and press - you rock! AND C: Yes, that tea towel would be framed as well. I think it would look good ANYWHERE in my house, as I LOVE Alanna Cavanagh and currently can't afford her prints :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic space! The pops of coral are perfect to freshen things up for Spring and Summer.
    I love this tea towel. It would never ever be a tea towel in my house! I would do exactly as you have done and frame it and have it brighten my apartment. My boyfriend and I love daschunds and this would make a great addition to our space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tim your home looks stunning! You've done such an amazing job. I love this tea towel and would either frame it for my daughters bedroom or maybe turn it into a great throw cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The room looks great. I am wondering a few things who is the wooden ball by at the foot of the SR chair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! The wooden ball is actually a fab HomeSense find! I think Sarah got hers for Sarah's House 2 from Elte.

      Delete
  12. It looks absolutely gorgeous Tim - I love your makeovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa!! I should really stop doing seasonal makeover at my place ... but it is just so much fun!

      Delete
  13. That tea towel is stunning and I would be honoured to display it in a frame in my home... and my happy little dachshund, Pickle, would be pleased to be represented on our guest room wall as well :)

    Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unbelievably, I just found that beautiful tea towel at our local Bay! What a shock!! Would love to get it framed...yours looks great. Do you know how they mounted it? I'm wondering if they did something they would do to a crosstitch--doesn't look like it from your picture though.

    Thanks for your always inspirational posts! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you have found the tea towel. I have recently seen the tea towel back in stock at the Queen Street Downtown Toronto location ... if you want more, you now know where to get a second one.

      The framer who helped me "floated" the towel inside a shadow box. No stitches but I'm not sure how they put the towel on top of the foam board, and then attach the foam board on the linen mat.

      Delete
    2. I was happy to have found one. : ) (Thanks for the tip! I live a little too far away to drop in, but who knows-always fun to make a trip to TO.)

      Interesting...maybe some sort of spray adhesive. I would take it to the framers I usually use...let the experts figure it out.

      Delete