Monday, April 2, 2012

Spring Is Here with Style at Home

Happy Monday!  April is finally here and that means Spring has official arrived at DesignMaze.  I am very excited about today's post, not only because Style at Home has yet done an amazing job putting together an inspirational issue for everything we need to know to create our own outdoor oasis, but my tiny balcony is also included as one of the featured outdoor spaces: Polished Casual.

Being the smallest space among all the featured condos also means I get a small mention on the cover!  "Condo Style Balconies to Love from 98 sq ft": yes, my balcony is less than 100 sq ft and here is how it lives large with colors, patterns, and a lot of attention to details.

image via Style at Home
image via Style at Home

Of course I have to show you the fun behind the scene footage, so you can all appreciate the efforts and hard work from the dedicated Ann Marie and Donna during the photo shoot.  To capture the perfect shot on the right hand side, Ann Marie had to lean over the railing and held up this light control screen that was bigger than her.  And may I remind you I do live high up in the sky: 28 floors above ground to be exact.  With my fear of height, I probably would have fainted if I was given the task.

These couple of shots capture the essence of my balcony.  They also illustrate the design tips highlighted in the May Issue of Style at Home.  As you can see, I installed wood-slat flooring over the existing concrete floor to add warmth, subtle patterns, and wood is definitely softer on bare feet than concrete.  To inject a touch of "zen" and extra weights to hold down the solar outdoor lights, I filled the gap between the wood tiles and the railing with smooth river rocks in charcoal grey.  

The rug is actually a DIY project where I selected an outdoor fabric, had it cut to size, and bound with navy blue boarder.  To make it feel more like a rug on feet, I added a carpet underpad for extra cushion and firmness.  This project is inexpensive and effective, especially if you are having trouble finding the rug you like in the right size.     


Plants and flowers bring life to any spaces and this is particularly true for this balcony of a 30 year-old condo.  Given the strong wind and harsh sunlight in the afternoon, no plant materials have survived here.  Well, I don't exactly have a green thumb to be honest.  So I opted for faux lavender and where possible, put fresh cut flowers in vases.


To achieve an overall soft, sophisticated, and yet cheerful palette, I selected a collection of fabrics with lots of patterns and colors via seat cushions and toss pillows.  I love this part of the project.  It is very rewarding to see a plan comes to life and how all these colors and patterns work in harmony.    


Always looking out for their readers, the talented editors from the Style at Home team have summarized a Spring 2012 Trends Report to forecast the latest and hottest trends in home decor.  Have a look, you will be inspired!  I certainly have taken notes from this trends report and you will see what I am cooking up for my indoor & outdoor space in May.

via Style at Home

Samantha Pynn is a contributing design editor at the Style at Home magazine.  Sam is also the new host of Summer Home which will premiere tonight at 8pm (Eastern time) on HGTV Canada.  Be sure to check it out!

11 comments:

  1. TIM! How exciting is this?! Go you! It's super fun to see your space here in London, especially given it's in the magazine. Enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes shots, I love that the final shots look effortless. Another thing I love? All the yellow in your throw cushions - FAB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Will!! I'm crazy excited about the feature as well and so grateful that Style at Home has selected my place to be part of their color issue and outdoor issue!

      Don't you just love the behind the scene shots? I love them and would love to see more of them. That gives readers another perspective and appreciation of the images in the magazines.

      Hey Will, I do love my yellow and you will be seeing more yellow in May ... a couple more magazine features coming up!

      Delete
  2. I love your space Tim and ripped out your pictures from the magazine first time through reading. The floor is from ikea right? What about your cushions and pillows? I wish my patio was 93sq ft but its more like half the width of yours-definitely wont have room for a table but maybe a Couple of chairs a bbq and some flooring will help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steph! Glad you like the space too! Yes the floor is from IKEA and if you are thinking of getting them, go there fast as they are often one of the first Spring items to be sold out before the weather gets warm!

      The pillows are all custom and designed by me :) Fabrics are from Designer Fabrics or inVU.

      In tight small narrow space with a bbq ... how about bench seating with storage underneath? that will give you more seating and probably take up less space than a couple of chairs. a couple of side tables. .. some foldable ones are available at Loblaws.

      Delete
    2. Great ideas, thanks Tim! I best get to the stores :) omg watched summer home last night. I died.

      Delete
  3. Love, love, loved your feature Tim. Congrats again ;) That's so amazing that you were featured twice in Style At Home. You're a star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I certainly had a blast during the shoot!

      Delete
  4. It looks amazing Tim!! That behind-the-scenes shot is pure gold! That is what I call a couple of professionals. I love the lavender, it is such a great choice for fake greenery as it is tiny and understated but big impact. And um... your live 28 floors up but are afraid of heights? ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! That's why I don't usually stand next to the window or the railing at my balcony. Funny how I used to so not afraid of height when I was 5!

      Delete
  5. Hi Tim. I'm a new visitor to your blog...I was actually flipping through this edition of Style at Home looking for patio inspirations when I dog eared the page with your beautiful balcony....I just had to check out your blog and let me tell you, it does not disappoint! You have such a great eye and I will definitely be checking out your blog for more inspiration! And I love that you're CANADIAN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! More new updates of my place coming up shortly. Be sure to come back and check me out.

      Delete