Monday, November 15, 2010

Local Artisan: Heather Shaw

Pilo, a name I came acrossed through a magazine spread in House & Home featuring Heather's lovely townhome in downtown Toronto and I was immediately drawn to her simple, a little bit rustic, and yet elegant, serene, and organic sensitivity to decorating. 

Here is the magazine spread featuring Heather's home decorated for the Holidays:

Isn't this the most elegant tree you have ever seen? Love Heather's simplistic and yet sophisticated approach to decorate her house:


The soft, organic feel of the fabric and reference to nature in decorating. Such a refreshing take for the holiday.



Calm and cozy vignette at the landing and look at that birdie ornament!  Love the contrast of dark grey on the walls and the many shades of whites in linens.

can't get enough of it? see it live here.


Her website and blog, Pi'lo, immediate became the bookmark I frequently visited, fortunately enough to have met Heather at her studio last year and picked up a few birdie ornaments and tiny bears with wings!


I also went to the one of a kind show last year and saw Heather at her booth as well.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of her booth, but I have to say that booth was the most elegant one at the show.  Here is the one Heather set up for her show in the Big Apple earlier this year.   


Now the weather is getting chilling at night and Halloween has just passed us, my focus is now on Christmas.  I won't disclose what my color scheme is for this year yet, but I will for sure need the wand from Heather as my tree topper! 



I'm also planning on creating a couple pieces of art works for my friend Mary in NYC and I'm inspired by Heather's projects on House & Home (also available at her store) with canvas and found objects.  Here are some pictures and the videos to her projects:  canvas art and pillows



I'm at the stage in my life now when many of my friends and relatives are having babies and I think these are the perfect gifts:




I'm fortunate enough to have an opportunity for a quick interview with Heather in her studio to talk about design inspiration, perfect objects for DIYs, and what's hot for Christmas this year. Check this out:





Here is Heather's serene studio:



A closer look at these wonderful mobiles and all 26 alphabets together... what a classy way to decorate a kid's room! or my study in that matter.



Only if my workstation and home office could look like this... I would have been a lot more productive!


Close-ups of the "desk accessories"


For this Christmas, I decided to make a runner for my dining room and Heather is kind enough to sell me some of her organic felts for my DIY project.


Thanks Heather for supplying me with the organic felt for my projects.  Couldn't have done it without them!  You folks will just have to wait and see what I've come up with in a later entry.

and for those of you running out of holiday gift wrapping ideas, be sure to snap up a few of these classic, elegant, and re-usable organic gift bags:


Happy shopping for the Holidays everyone! Better yet, visit Heather at the 2010 One of a Kind Christmas Show from November 25 to December 5 at the Direct Energy Centre, Exhibition Place, and see all these wonderful products in person!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: 12.12.10

Heather had a 3 hours only clearance sale at her studio on Sunday 12.12 and of course I couldn't resist but to go check it out.. just look at this invite, love it!


Love how Heather rearranged the table in her studio and actually looking like a "bed", perfect for putting pillows and her new take on christmas wreath!  Who says a christmas can't be "floating"!


Here are the other great products in the studio:


and I still couldn't believe how much Heather had marked down these lovely art pieces.. they were more than 50% off!  only if I have a place for them..


and of course I couldn't leave empty handed ..  I got a lovely sketch book covered with Heather's signature hand sewn "lined paper" cover and a scented lavender laundry sachet.


and they will be one of the many gifts I got for myself this year. .. .



and as they alway say, Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year and miracle does happen!  Just look at this: Chris did not only come to the studio with me, but he was actually smiling and posing for the camera!


3 comments:

  1. I have a HUGE crush on Heather's work and that studio...oh my, what a fantastic place to escape.

    Thank you for sharing Heather with us. Cheers + Happy Holidays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy! I will be posting how I decorate for the holidays with Heather's products in a later entry. Stay-tuned.

    Do you live in Toronto? Check out the One of a Kind Christmas show in about a week time. Heather will be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to read this lovely interview! I love Heather's style, it is so peaceful, simple, soothing...

    Thank you for sharing this beautiful article on one of my favorite artist!

    Chiara

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete